Thursday, August 6, 2015

Kreyol Cheatsheet

Now that I'm getting comfortable with very, very, very basic Kreyol, I thought it would be a good time to give you a quick lesson. Here are the most important words and phrases of my trip so far:

Bonjou! / Good morning!
Bonswa! / Good afternoon!
Bonn nui! Goodnight!
Mèsi. / Thanks.
Padekwa. / You're welcome.
Ki jan ou relè? / What is your name?
Mwen relè Amy. / My name is Amy.
Mwen soti Etazini. / I'm from the United States.
Mwe gen un fre. Le relè Mike. / I have one brother. His name is Mike.
Mwen kontan wè ou. / I'm happy to see you.
Mwe kontan fe konesans ou. / I am happy to meet you.
Mwe vle fe zami ak ou. / I want to be friends with you.
Mwen renmen Ayiti. / I love Haiti.
Kouman ou ye? / How are you?
Sak passè? / What's up?
Mwe mem tou. / Me too.
Ki sa, sa ye? / What is this?
Ki jan ou di ___ nan Kreyol? / How do you say ___ in Creole?
Eske ou konprann? / Do you understand?
Non, mwe pa konprann. / No, I don't understand.
Souple pale dousman. / Please speak slowly.
Vini! / Come here!
Chita! / Sit down!
Souri! / Smile!
Mwen pa pran ankò foto. / I am not taking anymore photos.
Tanpri pa pran linèt m'yo. / Please do not take my eyeglasses.
Na oue pita. / See you later.
Bat chen an, tann met li. / Beat the dog, wait for the owner. (Haitian proverb.)

Class dismissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment