Saturday, August 8, 2015

Showers and Shouts

We ate the goat of course; the one I saw them kill yesterday. It tasted like roast beef. I would definitely recommend goat to a friend - especially if it's this fresh. It was delicious. We also ate beans and watermelon and some kind of sticky, spicy cashew candy that came in a little clump and was excellent.

It rained a lot last evening so we didn't get to play Wheel of Kreyol, as it was too crowded inside and too wet outside. I took advantage of a break in the rain to take a bucket shower. I wanted to just stand in a stall and shower from the rain, but of course the shower is just an empty, roofless stall, so there would have been nowhere to put my clothes that they wouldn't be soaked with rain.

I felt like a new person after the shower. It actually wasn't bad. You fill a mud bucket with cold water and get a tin coffee can. You rinse. You soap and shampoo. You rinse again. You're cleanish. (Hey, you get the important parts. What more do you want?)

I was dressed and ready just in time for church, where I danced my heart out with nine-year-old Rosaline (and got sweaty enough to negate the shower). Rosaline is the bossy one and seems to run the younger girls, but she and I danced and jumped so much that she fell sound asleep in my lap during the sermon (or she just didn't like the sermon. Who can say?)

During worship, Paige sang "Here I Am Lord" while Olivia played piano for her, then our whole group sang "Chak Moun" with Claudette leading. That's a fast song about how everyone has a way to sing, to dance and to praise God. Everyone in the congregation knew it and soon the whole church was singing along. The whole service was crazy fun (and I slept very well after)!

I woke up at 4:30 because we were supposed to hike at 5 a.m., but the rains from last night turned into thunderstorms early this morning and Jeff and Sandy called off the hike. We can't hike tomorrow because of church in the morning, so hopefully Monday looks better than today. Right now though, it's clear, sunny and cool, so I think it will shape up to be a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment