Thursday, August 6, 2015

Our Comedians

Good morning!

I made it through my first night in Plain Matin. I slept great. It was cool and comfortable and the sounds of Kreyol conversation, crickets, passing trucks, barking dogs, and other miscellany actually lulled me to sleep. I couldn't hear the snorers over that racket!

This morning I was first of our group to wake up, so I headed out to brush my teeth and "wash" my face with a baby wipe. Lenord was sitting outside on the porch steps making baskets and I stopped to talk to him a little, even though his English is not much better than my Kreyol.

Which reminds me, I haven't introduced our crew yet. If you continue reading this blog, it might be helpful for you to know who's Haitian and who's American.

For the Haitians, we have:

  • Lenord (He's technically a translator, but I already told you how that's going. We call him Msie. Populaire because his cellphone never stops ringing.)
  • Jules (Translator and host in P-a-P.)
  • Madame Pastor Jan (My "mucker," aka: partner for the week's activities and my go-to if I need help here.)
  • Pastor Paul (Jan's husband. Also, the pastor of several churches throughout Haiti.)
  • Budendy "Beauty" (One of our translators.)
  • Milo (Another translator. Also, Lenord's son.)
  • Watland (Translator.)
  • Julien (Translator.)
  • Claudette (Translator.)
  • Luckner (Translator.)
  • Gracendy (Translator.)
  • Pastor Farrell and his wife, of Plain Matin
  • Michael (Pastor F's son)
  • Suzette (One of our cooking ladies; second-in-command to Madame Pas F.)
  • Orlean (One of the kids.)
  • Rosalie (Another one of the kids.)

And for the Americans, we have:

  • Jeff (Trip and project coordinator for Haiti H2O.)
  • Sandy and Kristen
  • Dave "Dav" and Paige "Paj"
  • Olivia
  • Dick
  • Mark
  • Jay

And that's the crew. Bookmark this post now for future reference. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment